March 19, 2008

More Suprises...

So this month isn't getting any better. This weekend Rick and I were excited about not having to worry about too much and just spend some time together. Well, I've learned that if you plan for something it usually doesn't end up happening just the way you plan, usually it's the opposite. In fact, this weekend went nothing how we had planned. I woke up on Saturday with a really weird stomach ache. Thinking that it was just my normal stomache ache that I get every once in a while I thought nothing more of it. So Rick and I went down to Redmond Lake to go Pike fishing. Well, when we got home my stomache started to hurt really bad so I just went to bed hoping it would go away.

I woke up Sunday morning too sick to go to church. Rick went to sacrament meeting and then came home to find me unable to move because of the stomache pain. We called his dad and he told us that we should go into the clinic. (Another Sunday tradition this month, take Michelle to the clinic) :) So we went to the clinic and the doctor thought it was just a normal stomache ache, but she took some blood tests anyways. She found out that my white blood cell count was high. (This means that there was an infection somewhere) So she told me that I need to have a CT done. At this point I'm thinking okay maybe tomorrow, but she said that the hospital is expecting me right now and I need to get down there as fast as I can. This really started to worry me because I had no idea why I needed to go down there right now and the doctor wasn't being very specific on why I needed to go down there right this very minute. So Rick took me to the hospital and by this time my stomach feels like it is being ripped apart. I do the CT and then I am told to wait while they call my doctor and then he will call me back and let me know what is going on. A few minutes later I get a call from the doctor saying that I need to go the emergency room right now to have an appendectomy and that Dr. so and so will meet me down there. At this point I was scared out of my mind and the rest of what the doctor said was a blur! I had never been a patient in a hospital before, this was only the second time that I had ever had blood drawn and I had never dreamed of ever having surgery and it all happened only within a few hours after we decided to go to the clinic.

While I was in the room waiting for the doctors to get everything ready for the surgery I kept making all the alarms go off because my heart rate was so high. They were worried I might be having heart problems, but I told them my heart was fine I was just scared out of my mind. They laughed and said that was understandable. But I still had to have a guy come in and put probes all over me to monitor my heart rate. They told me to take deep breaths, which is very hard to do in this situation, to help calm me down. Well, that didn't work so they finally had to give me sedative to help calm me down. I also found out that my uncle had just been released from the hospital in Salt Lake City on Saturday for the same reason I was in the hospital. I guess it must run in the family. :)

Another thing that was added into this crazy weekend was that Rick had two job interviews on Monday. So he wasn't able to concentrate on those very well. But mom drove down from Logan to stay with me sunday night so that Rick could try and get some sleep at home so he wouldn't be too tired for his interviews and so I would have someone to stay with me on Monday so I wouldn't be at the hospital alone. It was quite the adventure but at least I will never have to go through that again. And Rick's family doesn't have a history of it so he probably would have to worry about it either, thank goodness. Hopefully we won't have too many more suprises this month. At least not crazy ones like we have been having. Good ones would be very welcome, but I don't know how much more we can do this month. :) Hopefully April will be nice and calm. (But I'm not planning for anything this time).

2 comments:

Bailey Family said...

Wow Michelle that would make for a huge surprise. Hopefully you are feeling better. That is so crazy that you and my dad had to do the same surgery just 2 days apart. I'm glad that you didn't have to stay in the hospital by yourself that would have been horrible. Best wishes and here's to getting all these surprises done with!

Monica said...

Hey Michelle, so sorry to hear you've had such a rough go of things this month. Here's to a better April!